The Creek Indians first settled this area during the 16th century. They named the community Sandy Springs after a natural bubbling spring that was used as a camping place for the Creeks and eventual horse riders on their way to Atlanta. The springs were located near the intersection of what is now Roswell Road and Mount Vernon Highway. Today, the Sandy Springs Historical Society has leased the spring site in order to preserve its value as a historical landmark. The Creeks remained in the area until 1821 when they ceded a large portion of land to the United States. The land was divided into lots, distributed in a lottery, and sold for 19 cents a parcel.
Residents of contemporary Sandy Springs enjoy a great outlying Atlanta location as well as a plethora of recreational and cultural amenities including Hammond Park, Morgan Falls Park, and Allen Road Park.
Sandy Springs Properties
Last updated on Aug 4, 2020 8:02:am.